In most cases, getting dumped doesn’t come as a surprise. It’s not like everything was going along as normal and, for no reason, your ex came out of the blue, told you it was over, and said have a nice life. That would be cruel and unusual. If they did, you would have to question why you were with them at all.
Usually, the only time you see this is if one person leaves the other for someone else. That can be unpredictable and there may be little indication or warning that something is wrong. Still, if you know your partner well enough, even the slightest changes in behavior are going to be noticeable.
But generally speaking, there is a lot leading up to getting dumped.
So, how do you know you’re about to get the boot?
- Well, let’s start with any conflicts you’ve had lately. When you have arguments, do they seem to be more intense and last longer? Having disagreements is a normal part of a relationship, but if it’s ramped up lately, there is likely a reason for it.
- Is your ex spending more time on the computer or their cell phone? This may be an indication that there is someone else. Not always, but there must be something going on.
- Lack of respect. All your opinions and views don’t seem to matter and may be dismissed or even mocked by your partner.
- They are impatient and short with you. It doesn’t take much to anger them and the things you used to talk freely about now seem to antagonize them.
- You don’t seem to have any power in the relationship anymore. You feel uneasy because you know something is going on and you suspect that there may be someone else. As your insecurity grows, you may have moments of jealousy and it’s making you look weak and a little desperate. The more smug your ex becomes, the more insecure you become. Oftentimes, all it takes is one incident to spark this downward spiral that could easily lead to you getting dumped.
You won’t be able to do much if your ex is seeing someone else or if they simply hate your guts and want out. In fact, you’re better off walking away right there and then. But other than that, there is always a chance that you can change your future by changing things that are causing issues.
Keep in mind that your ex isn’t going to come to the conclusion to dump you overnight. It will take a lot of thought and agonizing before they make their final decision. If that decision is to tell you it’s over, then they’ll do it with a heavy heart – most of the time, at least.
You are going to see changes in your partner and the relationship that will tell you whether your days are numbered. If you refuse to see them, then you may pay a heavy price.
Having said all that, by the time you see definite signs, it could be too late. There are many things that can be going on behind the scenes that you don’t see until it’s too late (hence the blindside dump).
But let’s be a little more realistic. More often than not, there are signs that show up as a way to tell you your relationship is in jeopardy. You need to open your eyes as soon as they appear and nip it in the bud.
It sometimes takes keen observation to get ahead of trouble down the road. Don’t ignore your intuition.